Wednesday, March 21, 2012

World Down Syndrome Day

As I've written before I have a friend, I consider her a friend even though we've never met and she lives in Florida while I live in Texas, we went through our pregnancy together her daughter Kennedy was born 9 days before Audrey. Kennedy was born with Down Syndrome, my heart broke for my friend, but then I saw how she came through it, and I've watched Kennedy, through her mothers posts and blogs, grow into this amazing little girl, I no longer see Kennedy as DS baby, I just see her as Kennedy. Her mother is such an inspiration! Prior to Kennedy I only knew two people with DS, both were in an ex boyfriends family, I didn't really understand it, I just knew they were different and I once used the word "retarded" about a shirt I was wearing and my ex flipped out, I didn't understand why he was so mad and I really thought he was over reacting. But now I get it, I get why that word is so offensive. I've been trying to stop using that word, and when it does slip out I instantly feel bad because that's such an ugly word, and I really encourage everyone to STOP using that word. Today is World Down Syndrome Day, If you know nothing about DS then I encourage you to learn something, check out my friends blog, read her amazing journey over the last year. http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/

http://lifeasweknowit-jenniferm.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words and for helping to spread the word! Kennedy (and I) thank you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete